Nervous about calling your state legislator? We’d like to help! Here’s what you do:
1. Call Your Representative using the contact information above. Try to use a landline, as this will give you the clearest signal. You don’t want to drop this call!
2. Introduce yourself and thank them for their service: “Hi, my name is [Your Name]. I live in your district, and I appreciate your service in our state legislature.”
3. Explain why you’ve called: “I’m calling because I’d like to talk to you about an opportunity the states have to take back power from the federal government.”
4. Explain the problem: “Almost everyone knows our federal government is on a dangerous course. The unsustainable debt combined with crushing regulations on states and businesses is a recipe for disaster.”
5. Explain the solution: “Fortunately, the Founders gave state legislatures the power to make changes to the federal structure when Washington, D.C., starts to abuse its authority. Article V of the Constitution authorizes the state legislatures to call a convention for the limited purpose of proposing amendments to the Constitution.”
6. Explain the COS Project: “The Convention of States Project was launched to call a convention for the purpose of proposing amendments that impose fiscal restraints and limit the power of the federal government.”
7. Voice your support: “I support this approach. I want [name of your State] to be one of the necessary 34 states that passes a resolution calling for a Convention of the States. You can find a copy of the draft resolution and a legislator’s handbook (which briefly explains the process and answers many questions) at www.conventionofstates.com.”
8. Give them an action step: “I ask you to support the Convention of States Project and become either the lead sponsor or co-sponsor of a resolution in the next legislative session.”
9. Thank them again and give them some contact info: “Thanks so much for your service to the people of our district. You can reach the COS Project at email@example.com or call them at 540-441-7227.”
When you finish your conversation, let us know what your state representative thinks! We need a legislator to sponsor our application in every state, and we’d love to talk to a state legislator from your area.
That’s it! Of course, it’s always best to use your own words and explain it however you feel most comfortable. We’ve provided this outline as a guide. Don’t feel like you have to follow it verbatim.
Good luck! -The COS Project Team